Friday, September 19, 2014

The Moor of Venice has an X-men complex

While we were reading through Act five in class yesterday, I had a realization. Othello has an X-men complex. The only thing that bothers me about X-men movies (or at least the contemporary ones...do other ones exist? I have no idea.) is that a threat is introduced, and then almost nothing happens for the next hour of the movie. There is absolutely useless plot information, characters that the director has given me no reason to care about, an incredibly fast escalation, a large fight scene, and then the movie is over. The good guys have triumphed, at least until the next movie. It has absolutely no flow, and the small anecdotes are rather uninteresting. This structure makes it so that I can watch the first twenty minutes of the movie and the last half an hour, and completely understand the plot. The same could be said about Othello. Act one opens with an interesting controversy, Othello and Desdemona's love, and a plot from Iago to destroy it. The next three acts have semi-interesting points and some engaging character development (Othello went crazy very quickly...), and it is left to the final act for everything to collapse over a course of 11 pages. Which leaves me wondering if this was the case for other Shakespearean tragedies. Did I just miss it in the others? Or were the others simply more engaging? I feel the need to reread some of them, to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment