Thursday, September 11, 2014

"Moor" on Othello (Hooray for puns!)

After finishing Act 2, I have been left with a few questions. Is Iago's motivation truly because of his wife's "rumored" unfaithfulness? Why does vengeance for this accusation allow my brain to process his actions as justifiable? Is it because of all of his wit and surface sympathy for his fellow characters?

There is a small mention that Iago's motivation is based solely off of a rumor. What if it is only a rumor, and nothing more? Will this come back to bite Iago? And does the fact that Othello has already harmed Iago justify his actions? In an real world situation, of course not. An eye for an eye is never the answer to any conflict. All that results is more violence, anger, and resent to be left unresolved. But the context of literature changes that. Many hunger for the story of the underdog getting revenge on his oppressors. But is this right?

What makes Iago so appealing in the first place? His cunning and manipulative behavior certainly makes me like his character. The rhetoric he uses with other characters, makes me forget that he is the main antagonist in the play. Perhaps most appealing, is the view into the mind of the villain himself. It is often forgotten that villains believe that they are doing the right thing. In Iago's case, he is seeking revenge on Othello for "holding his office" with his wife. This action, while not necessarily correct, is enough for me to justify his campaign against Othello.

So for the time being, I have decided to empathize with Iago. I cannot wait to see where this clever character leads his prey next. I am afraid for this decision, because I have been told by a classmate that by the end of the play, I will despise him. But we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment