Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Bereft by Robert Frost

It's strange to say that such a sad poem was refreshing to read. But that is the only word I can find to describe my feelings towards it. Frost's imagery is what gets to me the most in this poem. His description of changing seasons evoked a powerful emotional response from me, a sort of identification with the speakers feelings. I'm a little startled, because I cannot say exactly where this identification comes from. Perhaps this poem is simply cathartic for me. I can feel the deep sorrow that is within it. However I still find a strange beauty in it. I especially enjoy the lines "What would it take my standing there for, Holding open a restive door. Looking down hill to a frothy shore". These lines really solidify the image for me. I imagine the speaker staring down at the shore, with the door trying to push him/her out of the way. I imagine their countenance to be one of pure awe at this terrifyingly beautiful scene.

The last four lines of the poem were also especially impactful for me. "Word I was in the house alone/Somehow must have gotten abroad,/Word I was in my life alone/Word I had no one left but God." Frost's imagery of this empty house reminds me of the song Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men.

I don't like walking around this old and empty house
So hold my hand, I'll walk with you, my dear
The stairs creak as you sleep, it's keeping me awake
It's the house telling you to close your eyes


This song is about the speaker, who has recently lost her husband. There are many references in the song to how creepy the house is without him, even with creeks dispersed throughout the song. The eeriness of that song is what I imagine when I read Frost's poem. I believe the speakers of both have experienced something very similar, some great loss in their lives. I imagine that they might even get along. 

In this autumn season, I can't help but identify with the darkness and sorrow that both pieces convey. I feel as if all three of us are struggling to get out of bed each morning, with the weight of the entire world on their shoulders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment